EdCom has recognized outstanding contributions to museum education by individual practitioners, museums offering distinguished programs, and by individuals whose leadership at the national level has impacted the public dimension of the museum. Judging is based upon the EdCom publication Excellence in Practice: Museum Education Standards and Principles.
Excellence in Programming recognizes exemplary creativity and innovation in museum educational programming. To be eligible, the program must have clearly articulated goals, be designed to achieve the goals with the intended audiences, have concrete evidence of success, have been presented three consecutive years, and reflect institutional commitment.
2010 Award for Excellence in Programming:
RAISE (Responding to Art Involves Self Expression), Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA
- 2009 Education & Arts Roundtable, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, CA
- 2008 Design Apprenticeship Program at the National Building Museum, Washington DC
- 2007 "Footsteps into Medora's Past" a collaborative program of the Chateau do Mores State Historic Site – State Historical Society of North Dakota, Billings County Historical Society and Museum, Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation, and Dickinson State University, ND
- 2006 GeoKids at the Wagner Free Institute of Science, Philadelphia, PA
- 2005 Proyecto Futuro at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science, Albuquerque, NM
- 2004 The Confino Living History Program at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, New York City, NY
- 2003 Follow the North Star at the Conner Prairie Museum, Fishers, IN
- 2002 Partners in Learning: Teen Parents and Their Children at the New Jersey Historical Society, Newark, NJ
- 1998 Family Rainbow at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA
- 1997 Neighborhood Collaborative at the Bruce Museum of Arts and Science, Greenwich, CT
- 1996 Museum Team at the Brooklyn Children’s Museum, Brooklyn, NY
- 1995 Project Green Reach at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn, NY
Questions about the Awards for Excellence and Diversity Fellowships programs? Please contact Hassan Najjar, EdCom's Chair of Professional Development.